Tuesday 18 March 2014

COCONUT & BLUEBERRY CAKE WITH LEMON ICING

17 MARCH 2014

I had a bit of a craving for coconut cake at the weekend. I don't really know why, but it's something I haven't had for ages so I thought I'd try putting something together. Whilst I'm a big fan of the coconut, I wanted to make my cake a little different. After a bit of research here's what I came up with...




INGREDIENTS (makes one small loaf cake):

2oz caster sugar
2oz unsalted butter
4oz self raising flour
1 egg
2 tbsp milk
1oz desiccated coconut, plus extra for sprinkling
A handful of fresh blueberries
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Icing sugar

METHOD:

Pre-heat your over to 180 degrees Celsius. Put the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream together until very pale and soft. This can take some time depending on the temperature of your butter. It's a good idea to let it reach room temperature before you start.

Beat the egg and milk together in a separate bowl. Alternately add the flour and the egg and milk mixture to the creamed butter and sugar, beating in thoroughly after each addition.




Add the blueberries and coconut and mix. If your mixture feels a little stiff at this point, just add a drop more milk and stir to combine. Pour your cake mixture into a lined loaf tin and bake for 30 minutes, or until a knife comes away clean when poked into it.

When your cake is baked, turn out of the tin onto a wire rack and leave to cool. In the meantime, prepare your lemon icing by squeezing the juice of half a lemon into a bowl and mixing in icing sugar until a thick paste is formed. This should be thick but not so stiff that you can't stir it.

Wait until your cake is completely cooled and then spread the icing out on top. Sprinkle with desiccated coconut and leave the icing to set. As always, cake tastes best when served with tea, so make a brew and enjoy!




3 comments:

  1. At first I was unsure if the blueberries would go with the coconut, but as usual you were right. The cake was lovely - not enough of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously I agree. Why wouln't i. The cake as usual was lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comment Hannah and this cake looks amazing! Now I am the one craving some coconut&blueberry cake :)

    ReplyDelete