Tuesday 17 March 2015

DIY: Up-cycled Sideboard

17 MARCH 2015

I've been getting crafty again guys. In my quest to bring Scandinavian style into our dining room and banish teak from there forever, I've taken to up-cycling all of our furniture. Here's what I had to work with...



...and here's what it looks like now I've had my hands on it...




Inspired by geometric designs I found on Pinterest, I used frog tape and RustOleum chalk finish furniture paint, building up in layers to create this minimal, quirky piece. 

Using a mini roller gives a really flat, streak-free finish you just can't achieve with a brush. The colours I used were Winter Grey, Anthracite, Mustard and Chalk White. These are really beautiful paints for furniture. They give a gorgeously matt, flat finish with minimal surface preparation, and the coats dry pretty quickly too! Definitely worth the investment to buy these (£5 for 125ml and £15 for 750ml) rather than use any old emulsion you've got lying around. 

I've finished it off with RustOleum furniture finishing wax to protect the paint from chipping - around £12 for a 400ml tin which might seem a little pricey, but this stuff goes a reeeaally long way (I can't see myself buying another tin. Ever. If that helps put it into context...)

Ok, so it's probably not to everyone's taste, but I love it and Blue seems to be a fan too, so that's all that really matters!




4 comments:

  1. Well done, it looks great! As you know it's not my taste, but it really does look great! I wish I had just a tiny bit of your talent, you're so clever. When you've got the walls done do we get an invite for dinner?:) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mum :) Of course you do! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Hannah you can turn your hand to anything! That looks fab and I love the colour combination.

    I am a big fan of the mini roller smooth paint finish. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy :) Was really fun to do. I want to do another one!! x

      Delete