Monday 8 July 2013

8 JULY 2013
KATIE HOPKINS: WTF?

Now, I don't like to swear in my writing, but Katie Hopkins has brought me dangerously close with her recent deluge of moronic chatter on ITV1's This Morning. I'm certain you've all read or heard about it over the last few days - it's hardly been out of the media - but I thought I would add my opinion to the many that are already out there anyway!

Appearing on the BBC1 series The Apprentice, Katie Hopkins is a perfect example of 'famous for being famous'. Still, she managed to get herself a slot seat on the This Morning sofa opposite Philip Schofield and Holly Willoughby, and the opportunity to voice her (quite extraordinary) opinion, not just once, but multiple times.

Not only has she shown that she is judgemental in the extreme, and willing to act on this prejudice, by outwardly stating that she would refuse to employ overweight people because they look 'lazy'. I can't understand why anyone would want to admit to having this opinion, but still, Katie felt she had to voice her shockingly backwards views in front of thousands of This Morning viewers.

Her attack on the intellectual and behavioural ability of children because of their parents' choice in naming them was equally bizarre. Not only does she think that names have a bearing on personality, but she showed extraordinary levels of snobbery in disregarding those with more unusual names, like 'Chardonnay' and 'Tyler', as suitable play dates for her children. However, she ended up floundering in her own hypocrisy when criticising children with 'geographical names', only to be caught out by Philip Schofield who pointed out that her own daughter is named 'India'.

Part of me wants to believe that Katie is a smart woman, who is selling her soul and self respect to the media in order to make a name for herself. Indeed, no-one can question that her viewings are through the roof and she's certainly got everyone talking! However, there's a little bit of me which can't help thinking that this reality TV 'star' really is that closed-minded and foolish to think that her opinion is correct and valuable to the general public.

But anyway, that's enough now, she's had enough publicity. I, for one (and I don't think I'm alone) just hope she doesn't have any more opinions that she wants to share with the world. X 


No comments:

Post a Comment