Friday 7 June 2013

4 JUNE 2013
THE BEAUTY OF CONVERSATION

Today had the potential to be one of the worst day's imaginable. You know those days where absolutely nothing goes the way it should? Well, today was one of those days. In the space of a few hours I managed to: drive into a parked car (in front of a crowd of people); waste nearly a full tank of petrol driving 45,000 miles (approximately) around the centre of Birmingham trying to find a parking space; and turn up to an interview assessment only to be turned away at the door because nobody was expecting me.

I can safely say that after today's events I am almost ready for tears. I say 'almost' because today I also experienced one of life's most beautiful things: a conversation with a complete stranger. Sitting in a waiting room at Heartlands hospital, the woman sitting next to me asked me a simple question about the consultant I had just seen. The next ten minutes were the most engaging and full of laughter I have ever spent in the company of someone I have only just met.

I got to know so much about this woman who only a moment ago was merely a stranger and I left feeling content, my spirits uplifted despite having one of the worst days I have had in a very long time. It made me think that we should do this more often if it has the power to make us feel so happy - we should take the leap of faith and talk to someone new. We have nothing to lose, and what's more we might even enjoy it! X

No comments:

Post a Comment